Skip to main content

Mitts knit flat

Warm and cosy, in a nubbly wood/acrylic blend.
You can't even feel the seams..
I decided to try something different, and because I enjoy knitting on two needles sometimes, I figured out how to knit mitts on them in no time flat.  ;)

I simply cast on between 28 and 36 stitches (depends on your gauge, size of yarn, needle size, etc.) and rib-knit for a few centimeters. Then I continued in stockinette stitch until it was as tall as my tallest (er, middle) finger.

I reduced in the usual way, by knitting two together until I was down to only two stitches and pulling the yarn through to bind them, and then I started sewing down the seam (with the mitt inside-out) until I got to the place where my thumb would start.

I then picked up 5 to 6 (depends on size, again) stitches on one side, knit them back, and picked up 5-6 more on the other. I knit the thumb flat until it was the right length and reduced in the same way I did for the hand.

I sewed the thumb seam on the outside of the thumb (though the mitt was inside out when I did it -- this is important so the seam looks neat).

I continued to sew down to the bottom of the wrist, then turned the mitt right-side out, and voila!  A mitten. Then I did it again.

Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free quick slipper pattern

Mrs Fisher's Slippers I call these Mrs Fisher's slippers because I knitted a very similar pair when I was in grade four during an extra-curricular craft class, which really means that this is simply my own variation of an easy slipper pattern that's been around for a very long time indeed. My teacher (Mrs F) was an infinitely patient, bespectacled lady who obviously could knit with her eyes closed and I was NOT a very skilled knitter at the time. I suspect she got a little tired of me asking her over and over to explain how to purl, heh. So I feel really accomplished when I can knit these up in a couple of hours.. See what I did, Mrs F? This project works with most worsted weight yarn, doubled (eg. knit with two strands held together). I use between size 4.5 to 6 needles, depending on the weight of the yarn (you can use bulkier, you'll just get a bigger slipper). Play around with sizing by varying size of needles as well as number of cast-on stitches. These are k

new shrug pattern!

Eve's Mistake Lace Shrug This makes a pretty, lightweight spring shrug with 3/4 length sleeves and a lacy back piece.  I made it for my friend Eve, who wanted a shrug to wear while dancing.  If you want the sleeves full length, simply make them longer. I have no idea what this lace pattern is, or even if it's a real lace pattern as I sort of knitted it by accident.  It almost looks like a lace version of mistake rib, and since it was accidental (I was trying to knit another kind of lace but liked the way this looked so I kept it), so for now, I call it "mistake lace".  2 skeins Red Heart Designer Sport, sport weight yarn 1 set dpns US size 7 1 set straight needles US size 7 (optional) CO 56 st on size 7 US dpns Join, pm, and knit in round in 2x2 rib for 4.5 inches.  Knit in stockinette until arm measures approx. 16 inches from end.  At beg. of round turn work, k1, m1, k to last stitch, k1, m1 (58 st). Row 1:  (WS) k2, *ssk, yo, k, yo, k, k2tog* (repea

Free Pattern: Flutter-Your-Fan Two-Needle Mittens

It's autumn, and summer is gone -- gone in a scarlet swirl of leaves on the chilly wind. Dramatic, no? Well, really I'm only pretending to be sad, because I live in the Pacific Northwest, where chilly is about as bad as it gets in the fall. Yay, fall! And guess who needs new mittens? A while ago I worked out a knit-flat mitten  that was essentially a simple variation on that old slipper pattern (but with a thumb). This week, with the weather getting nippy, I decided to revisit mittens while curling up with a good movie. My kiddo recently picked up a VHS copy of Gone With the Wind (how's that for different levels of nostalgia?) so naturally my thoughts turned to fans and lace. Lace is easy knitted flat -- which took me back to my two-needle mittens, which led to this free pattern. Enjoy! *Note: I did not post gauge (I'm naughty that way) but as long as you don't knit super-loose, this should turn out fine. Also, a gauge swatch is about the size of a mit